The Senior Network Security Engineer is responsible for the overall health and growth of the agency network and security for all locations. The SNSE will be responsible for configuration and maintenance of all network and security hardware (switches, firewalls, IDS/IPS, remote access, etc) The SNSE will also function as a backup to the System Engineer role, will mentor Technical Support personnel and will assist with 2nd level technical support to the organization’s computer system users.
The role will include high-level architecture, infrastructure design, and procedure development as well as hands-on technical work. Our businesses cross a variety of industries which will provide the opportunity to work with a wide range of technologies and business settings enabling the SNSE to exercise and accelerate their skills. The SNSE will also have the opportunity to utilize subject matter expertise for policy and process direction setting in addition to infrastructure product selection while keeping skills sharp by participating in and providing experienced guidance and mentorship to fellow Information Technology team members.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent job related experience plus relevant industry training & certifications. Desired Certifications: CCNA, CCNE, MCSE, CISSP
Five (5) years’ experience in network, security, and systems engineering in a predominantly Microsoft server environment.
Understanding of enterprise applications (Microsoft AD, LDAP, DNS, SMTP, Office365, Exchange, SharePoint,). Understanding of data center infrastructure (Hyper-V, VMware, NAS, SAN, TCP/IP, LAN/WAN administration, SSL, multi-factor authentication and certificate management). Fluent with diagnostic and monitoring tools (Wireshark, SYSLOG, Nagios, SCOM). Fluent with Powershell and Cisco IOS. Knowledge of PCI, HIPAA & NIST compliance requirements and certification processes. Experience configuring and managing Sonicwall, Fortinet, SSLVPN, Anti-Virus, and Barracuda and Anti-Malware solutions. Strong wireless 802.11 experience. Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Strong commitment to customer service.
- Design and implement moderately complex enterprise data center networks in multi-vendor environments.
- Perform site surveys to determine cabling needs, rack layout, number of drops and power/heat load requirements for network equipment.
- Install, configure and troubleshoot switches; troubleshoot LAN related technologies; configure and troubleshoot routing technologies; set up ports and collect and analyze packet level information; monitor and analyze user data.
- Develop network documentation.
- Monitor and analyze network performance and reports to detect problems.
- Plan and assist with the proper deployment and management of solutions that support information security including virus detection, malware detection, intrusion detection and prevention systems, next gen firewalls/IPS/IDS, and other security solutions.
- Apply knowledge of latest information security industry trends, technology tools and practices.
- Identify evaluate and help to implement technical security controls to continuously improve the organization’s security posture.
- Provide accurate and timely support of security tools, network-based security configurations, and appliances.
- Monitor/oversee or directly tune intrusion detection, firewall, and vulnerability assessment tools.
- Research and evaluate current or emerging security technologies to support organizational information security objectives.
- Evaluate, recommend and integrate new security technology and tools.
- Promote awareness of security issues among management and ensure sound security principles are reflected in the organization’s vision and goals.
- Apply knowledge of latest information security industry trends, technology tools and practices to define information security processes and standards.
- Plan and conduct reviews to monitor and evaluate system conformance with organizational security policies, standards and guidelines.General:
- Develop, communicate, and coordinate project plans and projects. Demonstrate a strong ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple projects.
- Assist and mentor less experienced team members.
- Handle highly confidential information/material.
- Perform network and system recovery operations when required. Assist the Vice President of Information Technology in setting up and maintaining the organization’s network disaster recovery and business continuity processes.
- Provides coverage for the Vice President of Information Technology when necessary.
- Perform other assignments and duties as required.