Location: Canton, MI
Sort, process and price merchandise for the store. Maintain both store and back room conditions. Serve our customers and present a positive image to the public. Supports and manages through embracing and demonstrating Goodwill’s values, mission and goals.
|High school graduate or equivalent. Basic mathematical ability required.
|No experience needed. Inventory control or warehouse experience a plus.|
|Ability to work effectively with diverse staff, customers and vendors. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Good organizational skills. Must have ability to make judgments on sellable worth. Must be able to work independently and be flexible in a multi-duty environment. Must be able to make decisions quickly, and be able to work within established guidelines. Must be aware of current styles and have an appreciation for what is marketable and what is not. Must have good writing skills and perform basic math functions.|
|While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk; occasionally reaching with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by the job include color vision. The employee must often lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. May be required to stand for up to 8 hours at a time. This position occasionally may require twisting and bending.|
|Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks at one time while serving customers/donors. Highly organized, energetic, team oriented individual with a positive “can-do” attitude and a strong commitment to outstanding customer service. Fundamental ability to understand, accept and work with people who have disabilities and/or other barriers to employment.|
|Computer literacy desired.|
|Work is primarily performed in a retail environment, and will also include donation and production environment with exposure to lifting. Occasional handling of trade fixtures. High adaptability required. Work environment usually hectic (fast-paced) with frequent short deadlines and a regular number of critical or unusual situations.|
|Must have excellent interpersonal skills and values that reflect the organization’s mission and values. Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor, and appearance at all times. Must be 18 years of age or older. Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, extended hours and holidays. Must pass a background check.|
Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit provides people who have disabilities and other barriers to employment with opportunities to become independent, self-supporting citizens through training, work experience and employment in the community.
Position Duties/Essential Functions
1. Sort, process, size and price donations, keeping in mind style, quality, and quantity needed to meet daily production goals.
2. Be aware of and be as knowledgeable as possible of our full range of merchandise and general pricing structures.
3. For applicable new goods
a. Receive merchandise, check for defects, verify quantity and complete required paperwork.
b. Price or tag new goods according to purchase order
c. Completely deactivate all labeling according to salvage agreement.
4. Be able to perform all backroom operational functions (i.e. processing, loading and unloading delivery truck, assisting customers with donations, and loading merchandise in customer’s vehicles).
5. Periodic use of pallet jack and pallet stacker to move gaylords through processing area.
6. Test all electrical items if applicable.
7. To be aware of Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls.
8. Responsible for understanding and complying with Goodwill’s safety program (i.e. handbook, policies, procedures, etc.) Ask questions and alert your supervisor of unsafe practices or situation. Continually support the agency safety program and contribute to customer and employee safety.
9. Provide customers with excellent customer service. Handle donations properly.
10. Contribute to customer and fellow employee safety and help maintain store security.
11. Participates in and upholds the values and processes devoted to continuous quality improvement in all Goodwill operations.
12. Responsible for promoting Goodwill both internally and externally, realizing that each individual is an important part of the Goodwill Story.
13. Cooperate with all other Goodwill personnel maintaining a positive attitude towards customers and employees.
14. Maintain orderliness and cleanliness of the store and backroom and work area.