LOCATIONS: Canton, Commerce and Woodhaven
POSITIONS SUMMARY: Retail Associate will function as a Sales Clerk or Cashier positions. Focused on serving our store customers. Maintain both store and merchandise conditions. Present a positive image to the public, and act in a security capacity as appropriate.
EDUCATION: High school graduate or equivalent. Some mathematical ability.
EXPERIENCE: No experience needed, however some retail sales experience a plus.
KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES: Ability to work effectively with diverse staff, youth, customers and vendors. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Good organizational skills. Must have excellent customer relation skills. Must be able to work independently and be flexible in a multi-duty environment. Must be able to make decisions quickly, and be able to work within established guidelines. Must have good writing skills and perform basic math functions. Sales ability. Ability to receive and disperse cash accurately.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk, use hands, talk or hear; occasionally reaching with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by the job include color vision. The employee must often lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. May be required to stand or up to 8 hours at a time. This position occasionally may require twisting and bending.
MENTAL DEMANDS: Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks at one time while serving customers/donors. Highly organized, energetic, team oriented individual with a positive “can-do” attitude and a strong commitment to outstanding customer service
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is primarily performed inside a retail environment, and will also include donation and production environment with exposure to lifting. Some outside work may occur. Occasional handling of trade fixtures. High adaptability required. Work environment usually hectic (fast paced) with frequent short deadlines and a regular number of critical or unusual situation.
OTHER: Must have excellent interpersonal skills and values that reflect the organization’s mission and values. Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor, and appearance at all times. Must be 17 years of age or older. Must have reliable means of public or personal transportation. Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, extended hours and holidays. Must pass a background check.
Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit provides people who have disabilities and other barriers to employment with opportunities to become independent, self-supporting citizens through training, work experience and employment in the community.
POSITION DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in and upholds the values and processes devoted to continuous quality improvement in all Goodwill operations.
- Be aware of and be as knowledgeable as possible of our full range of merchandise and general pricing structures.
- Be able to perform all day to day operational functions of the store (i.e. run register, write sold tickets and receipts, verify checks, stocking shelves/counter/tables, hang garments, sale of merchandise, rotation of goods, assist customers with donations, and loading merchandise in customer’s vehicles).
- Sets up advertising signs and displays or arranges merchandise on counters, tables or shelves to attract customers and promote sales.
- Obtains merchandise requested by customer or receives merchandise selected by customer.
- Answers customer’s questions concerning location, price, and use of merchandise.
- Provide customers and donors with excellent customer service. Handle donations properly.
- Responsible for clerk/cashiering duties as assigned and operating the cash register, which includes sales transactions, payments, refunds, and end of day register processing.
- Wraps or bags merchandise for customers.
- Transports packages to specified vehicle for customer if needed.
- Be accountable for proper register balances and for any unauthorized removal of any merchandise from the store.
- Accepts donations in absence of donation attendant for customer satisfaction.
- Maintain clean and orderly work area, as well as merchandise on the floor.
- Stock, straighten and clean the sales floor which includes textiles and hard lines, as well as clean restrooms, including mopping, as needed.
- Cleans shelves, counters, or tables.
- Takes inventory or examines merchandise to identify items to be reordered or replenished.
- Receives, opens, and unpacks cartons or crates of merchandise, checking invoice against items received.
- Stocks storage areas and displays with new or transferred merchandise.
- Remove empty hangers and outdated merchandise according to rotation schedule.
- Remove clothes from dressing rooms and re-hang if necessary.
- Answer telephone and provide announcements over store paging system as needed.
- Transport items to and from sales floor.
- Retrieve and collect shopping carts and baskets as necessary.
- Contribute to customer and fellow employee safety and help maintain store security.
- Cooperate with all other Goodwill personnel maintaining a positive attitude towards customers and employees.
- Responsible for promoting Goodwill both internally and externally, realizing that each individual is an important part of the Goodwill Story.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with Goodwill’s safety program (i.e. handbook, policies, procedures, etc.) Ask questions and alert your supervisor of unsafe practices or situation. Continually support the agency safety program and contribute to customer and employee safety.
- To be aware of Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls.
- To help train co-workers and clients as directed by supervisor.
- Check and help maintain store security.
- Assist in implementing daily check out, paperwork and banking procedures.
- Keep tabs on parking lot to ensure its cleanliness and safety.
- Perform any other agency related duties as prescribed by the Store Manager, Assistant Store Manager, and Director of Donated Goods.
STANDARDS FOR MEASURING PERFORMANCE:
- Annual employee performance evaluation.
- Skill, knowledge, and quality in performance of job.
- Decision making and leadership ability.
- Organizational ability.
- Quantity of work being produced as established.
- Willingness to take and implement direction from supervisors.
- Attendance and punctuality in accordance with employee handbook.
- Ability to learn new jobs, be flexible, and adapt well to new working conditions.
- Attitude towards Goodwill, fellow employees and the public.