POSITION SUMMARY: The Assistant Store Manager works with the Store Manager, leadership team, and staff to execute store operational objectives as they relate to supporting the annual operating plan. Responsible for day-to-day operations of the store, including personnel issues, via the execution of plans established in conjunction with the Store Manager. Give guidance and direction to store personnel in the areas of guest services, inventory, cash control, personnel, loss prevention, safety, expense control and merchandising so that the store operates as efficiently and profitably as possible. Manages, organizes and ensures efficient operations of retail production. Supports and drives Goodwill’s mission to help people in Greater Detroit prepare for, find and keep jobs. Manages and supports through embracing and demonstrating Goodwill’s values, mission and goals.
EDUCATION: High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience. Solid mathematical skills required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one (1) year experience in a retail store operation required. Supervisory experience required. Some warehouse, production, inventory control, shipping and receiving experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES: Ability to work effectively with diverse staff, youth, customers and vendors. Strong relationship management skills. Strong supervisory skills and experience. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have some knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting with solid mathematical skills to maintain accurate records and reports pertinent to retail store operations. Must have the ability to make judgment on sellable value.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to stand, walk; occasionally reaching with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by the job include color vision. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds occasionally. May be required to stand for up to 8 hours at a time. This position occasionally may require twisting and bending.
MENTAL DEMANDS: Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks at one time while serving customers. Ability to assume and handle responsibility at all times. Highly organized, energetic, team oriented individual with a positive “can-do” attitude and a strong commitment to outstanding customer service. Must be able to work independently and be flexible in a multi-duty environment.
MACHINE/EQUIPMENT: Working knowledge of computer hardware and software systems, including Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and point of sale software experience, general knowledge of inventory software. Material handling equipment skills and knowledge (pump carts, pallet jacks) desired.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is primarily in an office environment, and will also include retail and production environment with limited exposure to lifting. Occasional handling of trade fixtures. High adaptability required. Work environment usually hectic (fast paced) with frequent short deadlines and a regular number of critical or unusual situations. Travel will be required to various company locations of up to 15%. Limited travel for training which may require overnight stays.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Must have excellent interpersonal skills and values that reflect the organization’s mission and values. Maintain professional standards of performance, demeanor, and appearance at all times. Must be 18 years of age or older. Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license with a good driving record, proof of insurance and use of personal vehicle to conduct agency business. Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, extended hours and holidays. Must have no record or disclosure of criminal conviction that indicates a tendency toward theft, violence, dishonesty, deceit, drug manufacture or sale, or predatory behavior. Must pass a background check. Must be able to perform the essential functions of Assistant Store Manager with or without reasonable accommodation.
MISSION STATEMENT: WE PUT PEOPLE WITH EMPLOYMENT CHALLENGES TO WORK.
POSITION DUTIES/ ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assist in supervising, training and performance evaluations of all retail store and production personnel, clients, trainees and volunteers as directed by the Store Manager.
- Assist in implementing and controlling all retail policies and procedures as directed.
- Manages all store operations and personnel in the absence of the Store Manager.
- Oversee, in concert with the Retail Store Manager, general operations and is responsible for assisting in capturing accurate retail and production documentation for reporting purposes.
- Reports and makes recommendations on building, grounds, security, safety and loss prevention concerns to the Retail Store Manager.
- Assist in preparing the daily, weekly, and monthly retail and production reports.
- Perform weekly audits to ensure all policies and procedures are being followed.
- Responsible for helping to boost and maintain store employee morale.
- Adhere to established store hours, and check security of building upon opening and closing.
- Assist in enhancing store security and loss prevention.
- Perform any other agency related duties prescribed by the Store Manager and/or Director of Donated Goods as developed and/or required.
- Assist in implementing and controlling storage/backrooms policies and procedures.
- Check quality and quantity of finished products to ensure production standards and quotes are attained.
- Directs the collection and processing of all donated goods, as well as acquisition of new merchandise.
- Responsible for ensuring the retail production needs are met through effective leadership and planning within budgeted amounts and time constraints.
- Ensure that the assigned store maximizes used goods processing through proper sorting, preparing, and pricing items for sale. Ensure that production goals are consistently met or exceeded.
- Responsible for ensuring the efficient coordination of shipping/receiving and warehousing with the transportation department and the retail stores.
- Maintains and continually strives to improve warehousing, retail production, shipping/receiving areas and grounds for a safe working environment and clean/orderly conditions.
- Safeguards the retail production and shipping/receiving areas, grounds and merchandise under his/her care.
- Monitors, tracks, compiles, and reports upon performance benchmarks and statistical analysis for the retail division.
- Ensure all production employees have knowledge of recalled merchandise, and perform audits to remove such products.
- Responsible for all aspects of shopgoodwill and ecommerce operations.
- Assist Store Manager in meeting and/or exceeding sales, revenue and contribution targets for the store.
- Ensure maximum sales performance through proper stock rotation, display, signage, and inventory levels. Ensure that the store consistently meets or exceeds sales goals.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining the store merchandising standards and store appearance.
- Perform day-to-day operational duties necessary to service retail customers, including but not limited to stocking, sale of merchandise, rotation of goods, cashiering, etc.
- Maintain public relations with customers, promoting the retail store image. Handles customers’ complaints/concerns in a courteous and responsible manner.
- Monitor sales and cash management performance daily, weekly and monthly, and provide weekly reviews to all retail associates. Motivate employees to achieve the established sales goals.
- Coordinate all store opening and closing activities. Ensure that all procedures are followed and executed in a timely manner, which includes cash handling and bank deposits.
- Responsible for Clerk/Cashiering duties as assigned.
- Oversee, in concert with the Store Manager, the behavior of all clerks/cashiers, and is responsible for operating a safe, clean and friendly place of business.
- Assist in implementing daily and weekly check-out and banking procedures.
- Keep surrounding premises clean and free of safety hazards. Ensure that safety procedures are understood and followed by all staff and store employees.
- Ensure all loss prevention matters are reported, investigated and corrected in a timely manner.
- Ensure proper operation of store security and safety systems including but not limited to: door locks, alarms, office door, bank deposits, refunds, safe, incident reports, and fire extinguishers.
- Ensure proper handling of cash through enforcement of cash register procedures and accurate and timely submission of proper reports.