POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for providing various employment and training services provided by government granted funding sources. Services include intake, testing, individual development plans, job placement, vocational counseling and follow-up.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Human Resources or other human services related field. Special consideration for degree in counseling. May be required to become a Certified Career Development Facilitator
EXPERIENCE: Prefer two (2) years experience in providing wide array of federal, state and local employment service for eligible trainees. Job development and interaction with employers a plus
KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES: Ability to work independently or in a team. Familiar with federal, state and local employment services and eligibility requirements. Documented skills in written and verbal communication, group dynamics, service plan development, implementation, vocational counseling and time management. Experience using the internet
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Able to stand or sit for up to 4 hours. Regular use of hands, fingers and use of arms. Maintain alertness
MENTAL DEMANDS: Must be able to prioritize work assignments and meet deadlines. Required to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Required to remain objective and to respond appropriately while serving clients and employers. Exhibit unconditional patience, frustration tolerance and positive attitude. Proactive thinker
WORKING CONDITIONS: Interactive office position with staff, trainee’s employers and the community. May be required to work holidays not recognized by the State of Michigan
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Will require transportation to work site, employers and schools
- Possess working knowledge of federal and state job training legislation and other funded program requirements.
- Participate in orientations of potential program participants.
- Provide objective assessments, including various forms of testing.
- Develop individual service strategy with participants based on testing results, provide regular career counseling, monitor progress and review and revise individual service strategy at required intervals.
- Counsel participant to assist them in achieving their personal employment goals.
- Determine and provide supportive services as needed.
- Complete funding source required documentation, case records and other records with a high degree of quality and completeness in timely manner.
- Manage case records in accordance with agency policies and procedures and maintain records on agency case management system in accordance accreditation standards.
- Prepare on-the-job and classroom training contracts and monitor adherence to the contracts.
- Develop and utilize collaborative relationships with external and co-located agencies to meet participants needs.
- Cooperated with other staff to help assure that each participant receives the services best suited for their individual needs.
- Keep informed of current labor market information in the southeast Michigan area.
- Participate in staff meetings and external meetings as needed to ensure services that adhere to funding source requirements.
- Use Internet to assist trainees with job search related activities.
- Perform other related responsible assignments as needed.